Sunday, January 12, 2014

Bird Island & Sunset Beach


One goal for 2014 is to run the beaches of North Carolina. NC has 300+ miles of barrier island beaches. I have been to most, but not all. I'm looking forward to this journey. This is not a race of speed, but a race to finish. I will run the entire way. However, I will stop and take pictures, soak in the moment, and pick up my finds.

The furthest island to the south use to be 2 islands at high tide when I was growing up. Now Bird Island and Sunset Beach are connected all the time. Today I began that journey with my wife starting at the NC/SC line and the beginning of Bird Island. From tip to tip Sunset Beach/Bird Island is only 3.92 miles. This will be one of the shortest islands to run this year. 

To get to the beginning of Bird Island, we ran 1.73 miles from the closest beach access. Got there, reset our MapMyRun apps, and started our voyage. We ran this just before sunset. It was a beautiful day. Our one take find was the bright white sand dollar seen below. 





Tomorrow we conquer the next beach on the other side of the inlet - Ocean Isle.



Tip to Tip: 3.92 miles
Start time: 4:45 PM
End time: 5:21 PM
Date: 1/12/14 (Sunday)
Weather: Sunny @ Dusk
Total NC Beach Mileage to date: 3.92 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment